Welcome Anonymous !

Alpha Squad US TeamSpeak Viewer

SIX Updater

General discussion about ARMA, the OFP successor.

Re: SIX Updater

Postby Gnome_AS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Ah ha, I knew it could be done! Cool deal, thanks Sickboy. ;63

Took some time this morning to read thru the documentation and DH stuff. Seems like most of the good ideas are in the works. Now I just need to sort out not downloading all the MPMission stuff. (?)

Being able to schedule sync/download from x,y server/preset, could be handy for those working types or whatever. Save that one for later on. Quite the list of things in progress as it is. ;)
Gnome_AS
--------------
--------------

Postby Buehgler_AS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:02 pm

Gnome_AS wrote:Now I just need to sort out not downloading all the MPMission stuff. (?)

I believe that is controlled by the "sync missions" (is that the correct label?) checkbox under options pull-down in the top-right on the home tab (top middle-left). Which leads to the question -- shouldn't downloading missions be set for specific servers rather than globally?

Thanks for the support Sickboy, this really has a lot of promise to help people stay synchronized easily. My one suggestion is that you try to engage someone who really knows how to design user interfaces to help -- I have a great track record of making bad (or even horrid) interfaces myself, so I am not your person. As it is, I am afraid that the complexity of the interface will make this a very difficult tool for novice users to adopt.
Buehgler_AS
--------------
--------------

Postby Gnome_AS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:05 am

Son of beast.. reads "Incl Missions". I refuse to slow down.

As it is, I am afraid that the complexity of the interface will make this a very difficult tool for novice users to adopt.

I tend to agree. It's clean, works fine for most of us here I'm sure. But it is a rather profound amount of data, with lots-o-options. This can be difficult on the monkeys at times. If all else fails YouTube ftw, I suppose. Just don't have a monkey do the videos.

Can I plug our servers in an official how-to video? Lol.
Gnome_AS
--------------
--------------

Postby Sickboy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:51 am

Server owners / zsync repository creator decides if there are missions on his repository and available for his server.
The user decides if he wants to process missions at all or not at all.
Not sure it's useful per server, but would be simple option to add.

IMO the complexity isn't so much a problem, because default configuration and basic usage is rather simple, much is handled automatically, and syncing up with a server is also few steps.
All buttons/fields/etc also have descriptions in tooltips when you hover over them - which should help :)
But of course simplifications and improved usability are on the menu.

Also welcome to supply suggestions on how to simplify things without loosing the power and flexibility at the same time.
But take a look at the Roadmap first because chances are it's already on there; http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/roadmap

Scheduling is easily possible; http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+FAQ
Sickboy

Postby Gnome_AS » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Server owners / zsync repository creator decides if there are missions on his repository and available for his server. The user decides if he wants to. Not sure it's useful per server, but would be simple option to add process missions at all or not at all.

Roger that. Data from a per server option could be used for stuff, statistical usages come to mind first. Although that data could probably be obtained privately. Maybe people would use it as a way to reference mods required. (?)

Dunno, I do know I don't understand the time investments required, so it's hard for me to gauge value in these things.

Also welcome to supply suggestions on how to simplify things without loosing the power and flexibility at the same time.
But take a look at the Roadmap first because chances are it's already on there; http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/roadmap

It is quite superb as it is, no doubt about it. I saw the roapmap yesterday, so yeah, I'm already waiting on next month. :P

I think all to often people miss out on awesome tools like this, do to preconceived complexities when say.. looking at a screenshot of an application. So I tend to voice on the side of aforementioned monkeys, as at heart I'm salesman and just want to see as many people taking advantage of the features as possible. ;)

That is not to say there is anything direct I would change, rather it's a global thought. Honestly everything is very well put together, very professional. I was quite pleased to read thru the wagn. Wasn't overwhelming, and everything is well contained.

Scheduling is easily possible; http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+FAQ

Oh I see, now you want to take me out of your wonderful app and go play with ms toys.. I see how it is. Well I might just do that. ;63
Gnome_AS
--------------
--------------

Postby Sickboy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:46 pm

:D Thanks for the nice words.

Yea the biggest problem is time and effort. SU's a one man show, and i'm already spread out over multiple projects, so if I must choose between adding useful functionality or investing loads of time for the monkeys, im usually inclined to go for useful functionality :D

Adding per-server option to enable/disable mission download is a few mins work so no problem there, i'll get that in soon.

Latest news; Browse folder dialogs is in for the path fields in the datagrids, and for the path fields in the Options ribbon group will be available at next update, probably later tonight;
http://dev-heaven.net/issues/17289

Is there anything anyone feels would be really useful to have asap in the updater? Some feature, setting, or whatever?
(Either from the roadmap or something completely different)
Sickboy

Postby Splint » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:55 am

I would like like to see the preset in the home tab under edit tools synced with the server so when I choose a preset the server is the same.
Splint

Postby Sickboy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:56 am

Splint_AS wrote:I would like like to see the preset in the home tab under edit tools synced with the server so when I choose a preset the server is the same.

Not sure what you mean.
Edit Tools -> Preset you can configure the server for your current preset.
Clearing the Server field on the Home tab makes whatever server is selected on the current preset active.
Switching to another preset, changes server to what is set in that preset.

Selecting a server on the Home tab will override whatever server is set on the selected preset.
Changing to different presets will not change server then.
Sickboy

Postby Splint » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:54 am

OK, I must have changed to a different preset and the server didn't change, my bad.
Splint

Postby Robalo_AS » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:11 am

Click "Clear" on the right of the server selector on top and it will revert to the default server for that preset - shown in italic. After that, changing the preset will switch the server from it, until you manually change the server.
Robalo_AS
--------------
--------------

Postby Gnome_AS » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Gave it a kick around the grey matter yesterday Sickboy. See a couple community related features that I personally think hold great potential. I'd also personally save those for later, ramp up of users perhaps. So nothing I can come up with that is/seems needed.

Threading of downloads and anything else speed related would probably be beneficial. But meh, it's been pretty fair after the initial download.

I imagine theres plenty in place to occupy the BIS thread and keep people quite happy. Will be watching, I'll punch a ticket should a lightbulb turn on. ;12
Gnome_AS
--------------
--------------

Postby Sickboy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Hehe cheers!
Yea - lot of data to download the first time - but it really shows it's muscles at updating ;-)
Sickboy

Postby Robalo_AS » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:41 am

You can now simply open one of these links after Six Updater was installed to quickly get the settings from our servers, update and join:

Open Six Updater with AS-US1 server preset

Open Six Updater with AS-EU1 server preset

Open Six Updater with AS-EU2 server preset

Thanks Sickboy ;63
Robalo_AS
--------------
--------------

Postby Grunt_AS » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:44 pm

Saaaaweeet...thanks Sickboy.... ;63
Grunt_AS
--------------
--------------

Postby Buehgler_AS » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Indeed!! That will be a HUGE simplification for getting people up to speed.
Buehgler_AS
--------------
--------------

PreviousNext

Return to ARMA :: Main Forum

• View new posts
  • View unanswered posts